Monday, January 12, 2009

twilight


twilight, originally uploaded by gawdessness.

I love my backyard most of the time
but on snowy, winter nights
when the sky seems as white as the ground
it is most magical
and it makes me think of my lovely, furry
oldest dog
who loves the cold and snow as much as I do
he had a bad day today
his back end just doesn't work the way it used to
and today he tripped over a smaller dog
and fell and was in so much pain
he looked into my eyes and I could see him ask me
to make it better
a trip to our vet and a lot of painkillers later and he seems
to be okay
but okay isn't good enough
so we are waiting to see what happens
because he can no longer do stairs
and it confuses and worries him
to not sleep where we are
as he has done for the last five years
of his life with us
(we had to carry him down in a blanket sling this morning)
my husband and I have moved into
the guest bedroom on the main floor
you know the kind...
filled with books and boxes and bits and pieces of life that you might need enough not to get rid of
and almost incidentally - a bed for the rare and forgiving visitor
and it is okay
because there are big, trusting, brown eyes looking up at me
and the smile is almost back on his malamute mouth

3 comments:

Karin said...

Oh, I've so been there with a poor old dog who couldn't get around very well. She stayed with us as long as we let her. She'd have stayed longer, but finally we had to let her go and not be in pain anymore. And it still hurts to think about it. I hope he stays with you awhile longer. *hugs*

Unknown said...

so very sweet of you to do that for him and i love the way you describe the bedroom.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i wish him the best, gawdess......and i wish his pain and fears go away .....

About Me

Canada
gawdessnessatgmaildotcom

My pictures

Photo Quotes

www.photoquotes.com
When I ask to photograph someone, it is because I love the way they look and I think I make that clear. I'm paying them a tremendous compliment. What I'm saying is, I want to take you home with me and look at you for the rest of my life.
- Amy Arbus