Saturday, January 26, 2008

unexpected orchids


unexpected orchids, originally uploaded by gawdessness.

This seems to be my week for flowers.
I have taken pictures of a lot of other things and of a fair number of people (which I admit is my most favourite subject of all) but this was the "right" one.
Even my eight year old said "you should put that one picture of the flowers on the stick on your, um thing, the photoblog".

Who am I to argue with that?

The orchids were actually over my head.
Arcing out from a pot on a high counter at the vietnamese sub store, I was entranced and the nice shopkeeper smiled his approval and nodded as I gestured with my camera at them.

They are beautiful and they also make me think of a friendly man and delicious food.

I did this hand held with the 30d and the fabulous 50 mm lens at f1.8, shutter 1/400, iso 200 and I didn't mess with it much, if at all in iphoto, I might have toned down the light a little but I can't remember.

5 comments:

angelfeet said...

Aren't orchids amazing flowers! They look beautiful.

Ampersand said...

I love flower shots. I never tire of them -- taking them or viewing them.

You did such a great job with the composition on this one, just gorgeous.

concretegodmother said...

Orchids are always breathtaking creatures. I like this spotted version. I agree with ampersand -- can't have too many flower shots. God's creation is just too wonderful and varied!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Beautiful! Such delicate, sweet colors. I like the thought of this arching over your head while you wait for delicious food from a smiling man.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Gorgeous!

About Me

Canada
gawdessnessatgmaildotcom

My pictures

Photo Quotes

www.photoquotes.com
When I ask to photograph someone, it is because I love the way they look and I think I make that clear. I'm paying them a tremendous compliment. What I'm saying is, I want to take you home with me and look at you for the rest of my life.
- Amy Arbus